Switching current accounts
Switching with an overdraft or overdrawn balances
If an overdraft forms part of your decision to switch your account to us, please wait for confirmation that this is in place before you proceed with a switch to us (as approval for the overdraft is based on a credit check and assessment of your personal circumstances).
You can still switch your account if you're overdrawn, but overdrawn balances are not transferred as part of a switch.
If you require an overdraft as part of your switch, you will need to have this in place before you proceed with your switch as approval for the overdraft is based on a credit check and assessment of your personal circumstances.
You can still switch your account if you’re overdrawn. It is your responsibility to pay off any overdrawn balance including any fees or charges on your old account. You can do this by using available funds or, if you have applied and been accepted, an overdraft with ourselves. Debit balances are not transferred.
The Current Account Switch Guarantee
The Current Account Switch Guarantee means you don’t need to worry about missing bill payments or having to redirect Direct Debits.
7 working days to switch.
It normally takes just 7 working days to complete the switch over. During that period, you’ll be able to use your new account as you would normally.
All you need to do
When you apply, you just need to let us know:
- Your old account details.
- The date you want to start the switch process.
- Your old debit card details (please have this information available).
We do the rest:
Payments are transferred automatically
All your Direct Debits, standing orders and bill payments will be automatically transferred.
Payments are redirected
Any payments into your old account will be redirected to your new account.
If there are any problems, we guarantee to cover you
If anything does go wrong, we guarantee to sort it out for you and cover any losses you might incur. This is the Current Account Switch Guarantee.
You can keep your old account open, but you won't be covered by the guarantee
You can choose to keep your old account open if you want. However, the Switch Guarantee will then be void.
- If you keep your old account open, we will not cover the costs associated with missed payments.
Other things you may want to do
- Tell your friends and family that you've changed your account details.
- Update your card or bank details on websites you regularly buy from.
Find the right current account for you and request to switch during the application process.
You can still switch your old bank account to us by calling us on:
+44(0) 3457 212 212
6am - 10pm, 7 days a weekImportant information about our call charges
Alternatively, visit us in branchUse our branch locator to find your nearest branch
We have designed the Current Account Switch Service to let you switch your current account from one bank or building society to another in a simple, reliable and stress-free way. It will only take 7 working days. As your new current account provider we offer the following guarantee:
- The service is free to use and you can choose and agree your switch date with us.
- We will take care of moving all your payments going out (for example, your Direct Debits and standing orders) and those coming in (for example, your salary).
- If you have money in your old account, we will transfer it to your new account on your switch date.
- We will arrange for payments accidentally made to your old account to be automatically redirected to your new account. We will also contact the sender and give them your new account details.
- If there are any issues in making the switch, we will contact you before your switch date.
- If anything goes wrong with the switch, as soon as we are told, we will refund any interest (paid or lost) and charges made on either your old or new current accounts as a result of this failure.
For more information go to www.currentaccountswitch.co.uk