Here, you can learn how to make a payment to someone you’ve paid before in online banking. We refer to people or businesses you’ve paid before as saved payees. We have a handy video guide that explains how to do it, as well as a step-by-step text guide.
To make the most of these guides, you could open online banking in a new tab in your browser, and refer back to this page when completing the task in online banking.
We also have guides on:
Need more help with transferring money?
If you want to find out more about transferring money, such as how long it takes, or information about payment limits, our money transfer guide could help.
If your payment is unsuccessful
If you’ve tried to make a payment and it’s unsuccessful, there are a number of reasons why this might be. To find out more and get extra support, check out our money transfers guide. Once you've found out the reason why it was unsuccessful and managed to resolve it, you can try and make the payment again.
In this step-by-step guide, we’ll explain how you can use online banking to easily make payments to a person or a business you’ve paid before, if they're based in the UK.
International payments work differently — you can find out more in our guide to making international payments.
You’ll need a few things handy, including access to your phone and emails so you can receive a verification code. You’ll also need:
The payee’s details
Details of the transfer
1. First, log in to online banking using your login details.
2. Then, select ‘Pay and transfer’ from the menu on the left.
3. Next, select the account you want to pay the money from.
4. After you’ve done this, select ‘Pay a saved payee’.
5. Then, select the saved person or business you want to pay. Even if you’ve paid them before, it could still be a scam. Please make sure to double-check the details before making the payment.
6. Next, you’ll be taken to the ‘Payment details’ page. Here, you’ll need to enter the amount you want to transfer. As long as you're not paying from a savings account, you can also enter a reference, although this is optional.
If you change or delete an existing reference, we’ll ask you to enter your password and a verification code for security reasons.
If you want the payment to be made at a later date, you can select the ‘Pay later or create a standing order’ tick box underneath, and choose a date. Then, click ‘Continue’.
1. Next you’ll be taken to the ‘Confirm details’ page, where you can review the payment details. If they’re correct, click ‘Confirm and pay’. If something’s not right, you can click on ‘Edit payment details’ instead.
2. Once you’ve clicked ‘Confirm and pay’, we may send you a verification code by text or email. On the ‘Verify it’s you’ page, you’ll need to enter this code, along with your password. This is for security, to make sure it’s really you making the payment. After you’ve done this, click ‘Verify code’.
3. We’ll then process your payment request.
If successful, you’ll see a confirmation message saying that your payment request has been sent. When you’re finished, you can click ‘Return to my accounts’ to go back to the main screen.
If you’ve tried to make a payment and it’s unsuccessful, we recommend trying again. There are a number of reasons why a payment might be unsuccessful — you can find out more and get extra support in our money transfer guide.
Not found what you're looking for?
Contact our support team