What information do I need to open a current account?
If you’re aged 16 or over, or 18 or over when requesting an optional overdraft, you can apply for a current account.
To open a current account, we need to know:
- Your name
- Home Address
- Telephone number
- Email address
- And if you've moved in the last three years, we will also need the address and postcode of where you have lived before.
If applicable, we will also need:
- The account number and sort code of your present bank or building society account
- Your mortgage details
- Your basic employment details
- We'll also ask you for some personal information for security purposes, and in some instances may also request some forms of ID. We use this information to identify you when you access your accounts in the future. Learn more about what you can use for proof of identity and where to send it.
Once we have your completed application we can then complete the required checks before opening your account.
A completed application is defined as:
- A fully completed and signed application (where a paper form is being submitted)
- Where a joint account is requested via the telephone we require the return of the signed Joint account Mandate
- Provision of Original Proof of address and Identity documents (Branch)
- Certified POI / POA received as per guideline and certified Translation if applicable
- Provision of additional supporting information (if required)
Find out more about joint accounts, including the impact and responsibilities of each account holder.