How will I know if a text message is from the Co-operative Bank?
If we have a working mobile number for you and need to check suspicious activity on your account, we may send you an automated text message. Your response will let us know if you made the transaction or not.
The text message will:
- Include transaction details
- Ask you to respond by text 'yes' or 'no', to confirm if you made the transaction
We will never ask you for any personal or security details via a text message and we will never include a link in a message that asks you to login to our online banking login page. If you receive a text message that asks for this - do not respond.
Remember we will never ask you for verification codes or token codes over the phone.
If you have any concerns about a text message - do not respond. Always stop and think. Please do not attempt to call back the phone number from which you received the text message. Instead, call us using a trusted number from the back of your card, your bank statement or our contact us page.
Please also forward any scam texts or emails claiming to be from us to email@example.com
For further information about the cost of text messages, please contact your mobile network provider.
How will I know if an automated call is from The Co-operative Bank?
If you receive an automated call, we will clearly state who it's for and carry out the following steps:
- Verify your identity
- Provide you with some information about your recent payments
- Ask you to confirm, using your telephone keypad, if you made the payment
- End the call, provided you are the one who actually made the payment. If you didn't we will connect you to one of our advisors
If we can't get in touch with you, we may leave a message, send you a text message or email asking you to contact one of our dedicated automated service numbers, 0345 401 9126 or 0345 355 2429 ()
How can I tell if an automated call, text message or email IS NOT from the Co-operative Bank?
Our Automated phone call, text message or email messaging services will never ask you for any of the following information:
- Your account numbers or card details
- Your telephone or online banking log in details or secure personal information
- To confirm or enter your card PIN, verification codes or token codes
- If you receive your verification code by text message, it will always be sent from "Co-optiveBK" or "Smile" depending which accounts you have with us
- To call a telephone number that is not one of the dedicated Caller Line Identification (CLI) numbers, 0345 401 9126 or 0345 355 2429 or our Customer Service line
- To click on a link within the text message or email which asks you to log in to your online banking account and / or provide your security details
If you're in any doubt that a call, text message or email you have received may be fraudulent, or you think you may have revealed your security details, please contact us immediately.