Make purchases in store, online, and in-app, using your credit or debit card details. Simply store your cards on a compatible Apple device, and make payments from just one place.
- Conveniently store your eligible cards quickly and for free.
- Secure your payments with a unique passcode and Touch ID.
- Available to use wherever you see the Apple Pay or Contactless logo.
How does Apple Pay work?
Apple Pay lets you store your credit and debit cards, then make purchases using an Apple device – whether that's your iPhone, iPad or Apple Watch. It stores your cards in the device’s Wallet, which makes it an easy, quick and secure alternative to carrying your cards around.
Which cards and devices are eligible?
Most of our Co-operative Bank debit and credit cards are eligible, except for Affinity and business credit/debit cards. As for devices, you can use Apple Pay with any compatible Apple device. These currently include:
- iPhone SE, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 plus and later
- iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3, and later
- Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 2 and later, if paired with a compatible iPhone
How secure is the service?
It's a secure way to make payments, as you're able to protect yourself using your Apple device's unique security features, like Touch ID, your unique 6-digit passcode, or the Wrist Detect function if you're using your Apple Watch.
Firstly, check that you have Apple iOS 8.3 or later installed on your device.
Then, to add a card, you'll need to:
- Open the Apple Wallet app and press '+'
- Choose 'Add credit or debit card’.
- Choose from either 'Use card on file for iTunes' or 'Use a different credit or debit card’.
- Enter your card details into the next screen, or use your phone's camera to scan the card.
- Key in the 3-digit security number found on the back of your card.
- Read and accept the terms and conditions.
- You'll need a 6-digit verification code to complete the next stage. Let us know if you want to receive this by text or email.
- Enter the 6-digit verification code we send to you.
- Now, your set up will be complete.
- We will never share the contact information you've given us with third parties, including Apple.
If you're in a store that accepts Apple Pay, swipe your Apple device across a contactless card reader - just like you would with a contactless credit or debit card.
If you're buying something online, your Apple Wallet will already have your card's details available when you make a purchase. It saves you typing your card details out online, or scanning your card in each time you visit.
The main difference is the way your card details are stored. You'll have the same security process as any physical credit or debit card would, even though your Apple Wallet won't directly store any of your personal card details. There'll also be the addition of Apple safety measures, like biometric recognition and a unique 6-digit passcode.
What's more, you'll still be able to use Everyday Rewards too, provided you're registered to that scheme and are eligible for that month.
Apple Pay is a 'digital wallet' so you can do essentially anything you could with a standard credit or debit card. Just like using a standard card, bear in mind that there may be processing fees and overseas charges from The Co-operative Bank if you use your card abroad.
If your card is lost or stolen please call us immediately on +44(0)345 600 6000 and we can prevent any further use of your card. If the physical card has been reported lost or stolen this will prevent any use of the card with Apple Pay. When you call we can arrange for a replacement card to be sent out to you and this will automatically update in the wallet the next working day.
Lost devices should be reported to Apple. If your device is lost or stolen you should go to your iCloud account or Find my iPhone app and from here you can put the device in lost mode which will prevent any use of the card from the device.
The bank does not set a transaction limit for Apple Pay but check with the merchant before purchasing as they may set a limit.
Need more information?
Go to our help and support for information about Apple Pay.
Apple, the Apple Logo, Apple Pay, iPhone, Apple Watch and Touch ID are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.