To meet our regulatory requirements in relation to customer identification and to protect both you and us from fraud, we will verify all applicants electronically or, where this is not possible, by requesting paper proofs.
If you are applying in person at a local Co-operative Bank or Britannia branch, you will be asked to take some paper proofs with you to confirm both your Identity and Address – any of the following are acceptable. (You need to bring one proof from each list). If you are applying by post, telephone or internet you will be advised if paper proofs are required.
Proof of Identity (POI):
- Current valid passport (with English translation)
- Current full or provisional photocard driving licence (with English translation)
- EU/EEA Member State Identity Photo-Card or National Identity photocard (Not UK)
- Shotgun Licence or Firearms Certificate
- Northern Ireland electoral ID card
- Instruction from the Court appointing an individual: Court of Protection or Grant of Probate
- Confirmation of receipt of State Benefits from a Government Agency (including Government issued Pensions)
- HMRC Tax Notification letter /Assessment letter or Statement of Account
- Birth certificate (under 18s only)
- National Insurance card (under 18s only)
- NHS Medical card / letter (under 18s only)
- HMRC letter confirming issue of NI card (under 18s only)
- Current child benefit letter (under 18s only)
Proof of Address (POA):
- Current UK photocard driving licence (full or provisional)
- Current old style UK driving licence (full)
- Notification letter from Benefits agency / other Government agency confirming the right to benefits pension (issued within the last 6 months)
- HMRC Tax Notification letter / Assessment letter or Statement of Account
- Letter confirming residency from a Nursing Home/Care Home
- Local Authority Tax Bill (issued within 6 months or valid for current year)
- Statement or letter from Bank / Building Society / Credit Card / Mortgage / Life Insurance / Investment indicating that a relationship exists (issued within the last 6 months).
- Utility Bill (not a mobile phone bill - issued within the last 6 months)
- Solicitor's letter confirming recent house/land purchase (issued within the last 6 months).
- Local Authority / Housing Association / Public Letting Agency tenancy agreement Tenancy Agreement or letter
- TV licence (valid for the current year)
- Vehicle tax renewal document (issued within the last 6 months)
- NHS Medical card letter (under 18s only)
- Child benefit letter (under 18s only)
- Student loan letter or statement (confirming home address) (under 18s only)
- Professional reference from a person in a position of responsibility (under 18s only)
- HMRC letter confirming issue of National Insurance card (under 18s only)
One document cannot be used to fulfil both POI and POA requirements. For example, a driving licence appears on both POI and POA lists, however this single proof cannot satisfy both POI and POA requirements
If you are unable to provide one proof of identity and one proof of address based on the above list, please call into a local Co-operative Bank branch or contact us on 03457 212 212^ and one of our customer services advisers will be able to discuss with you any other proofs we can accept to open your account.
In addition to satisfying our Proof of Identity and Proof of Address requirements, you will also be required to supply evidence of your course and funding also.