It takes about 10 minutes if you've got all your details to hand.
You can save your application as you go along and continue later.
What you'll need
- Information about your income and outgoings each month.
- Your previous addresses from the last 3 years.
- The account number and sort code of your main bank account.
To apply the main card holder must meet the following:
- 18 or over.
- UK resident.
- Earning a minimum Gross Annual Income (GAI) of £10,000.
- An existing customer having held a Co-operative Bank or smile current account for at least 7 months (Cashminder, Student and Pathfinder accounts are not eligible).
- Not had any County Court Judgements (CCJs), entered into any Individual Voluntary Arrangements (IVAs) or Trust Deeds nor been declared bankrupt within the last 6 years.
- Not in arrears or have not missed more than 2 payments on any credit agreement in the last six months.
- Must be employed full time, part time, self-employed or retired.
- Additional cardholders can be unemployed as long as they’re 18 or over and a UK resident.
Approval is subject to status and based on a credit check and an assessment of your personal circumstances.
Before applying, make sure you have read our terms and conditions
What happens next?
Once you’ve applied online, we’ll check your details and credit history and email you to confirm your eligibility. We may need to request more information before we can make a decision.
If accepted, we'll send you your agreement form within 2-5 working days.
You'll need to read and sign the forms and send them back to us in the pre-paid envelope.
Once we've got the forms, we'll send you your new card within 5-6 working days. Your Personal Identification Number (PIN) will arrive 2 or 3 days after that.
What if I don't get approved?
Customers that are not approved will have a note placed on their account that an application has been submitted and declined. You will be sent an email and a letter in the post to confirm this decision.
Being refused for a credit card can negatively affect your credit rating. If this happens, you should avoid applying again for the same card. All applications, positive and negative, will show up on your credit file.
You can improve your credit score by being on the electoral register and cancelling old credit cards.
Important information, Pre-contract credit information and Terms and ConditionsDownload Important information, Pre-contract credit information and Terms and Conditions PDF (264KB)
The Co-operative Bank reserves the right to decline any application.
Whether we can offer you credit depends on your circumstances and our lending policy. We may decline your application based on your circumstances or our lending policy. We may be able to offer a product that's different to the ones advertised.