What exactly is GDPR?
10 July 2018
A change is here, and it's a big one.
In the online world, many of us hand over our data with ease.
For instance, by signing up to a mailing list or ordering something online, you may have given that particular company consent to email you. This also means they can send you more marketing emails than you may like, even passing your data on to another business if you've agreed to it.
Across the country, there have been growing concerns about how data is handled, and how it's kept safe.
GDPR puts you back in control of your data.
The law has changed. From 25 May 2018 The General Data Protection Regulation, or GDPR, is making all companies review how they handle your data, and give you greater control and security.
How GDPR benefits you
The change in the law has been made to put you first. Under the new rules:
- You'll have more control over the data that companies hold about you, so you'll know that it's accurate, up to date and secure
- You can choose exactly how a company contacts you and what they can contact you about
- Organisations will face increased fines if they put your data at risk, so they need to take even more responsibility to keep your data safe
- It will be easier to update your preferences and change your mind about who can contact you.
So many reasons to stay in touch
The changes mean if you want to hear from us, you have to let us know. We'd love to stay in touch so that we can tell you about:
- New products and enhancements to our range that we think would be suitable for you
- Continual improvements to our products and services, like the introduction of Apple, Google & Samsung pay
- Advice, updates and guidance to protect you from fraud and keeping your money safe
- Updates on ways we're supporting commitments to our values and ethical policy - we're the only UK high street bank with a customer-led ethical policy, tackling things like climate change and human rights issues
- News on the work we're doing in local communities.
And if you do still want to hear from us...
It's easy to manage your preferences and how you'd like to be contacted. You can simply log into online banking and visit the 'Manage Your Marketing Preferences' page, accessible from 'Your Profile' screen. It's good to know you can change your mind at any time.
How we keep your data safe
As a bank, we do everything we can to keep your personal information under lock and key. Here are a few reasons why we hold your data securely:
- As a responsible bank, we take every step necessary to ensure your personal data is secure
- We may use your data to improve or tailor our services so they better suit your needs
- We always respect your privacy and make sure we meet every regulatory
- We will never share your data with third parties without your consent.
So that's it.
Remember GDPR has already come into effect. If you've any questions about how it impacts the way you bank with us, you can get in touch using the Contact Us information around the site.
More detailed information on GDPR is available from the Information Commissioner's Office.