What is a Direct Debit?
A Direct Debit is an agreement between you and an organisation, which lets them take regular payments from your account. Unlike standing orders, the amount isn't always fixed, so it can vary from payment to payment. Direct Debits are perfect for paying things like utility bills and other credit payments.
Creating a Direct Debit
When setting up a Direct Debit, you’ll do it with the company you’ve made an agreement with, through your bank. You’ll need to give them your account number, sort code and the name of your bank, and they will set up the Direct Debit instruction.
If you need to do this by post, the address is:The Co-operative BankPO Box 150
Once this is processed, the company you’re paying to will give you a unique reference number for that Direct Debit. This makes it easier to find on their records and on ours too. Direct debits will leave your account on the due date as per your agreement with the company (please note that direct debits are only processed on working days).
Viewing or cancelling a Direct Debit
You can view or cancel your Direct Debits at any time using online banking or our mobile app.
To do this:
- Log in to online banking.
- Select the account with the Direct Debit you wish to cancel.
- Go to ‘Planned payments’. (You may sometimes need to enter your password, 6-digit security code and a verification code we will send to you by text message or email. It's important that you never tell anyone your verification code.)
- Scroll to ‘Direct Debits’.
- Select the Direct Debit you want to cancel.
- Select ‘Delete’.
- Log in to the mobile app.
- From the current account screen or the main menu choose 'Payments & transfers'.
- Next, select "View or cancel scheduled payments". If you have more than one account select the account you wish to view
- Select 'Direct Debits'.
- Choose the Direct Debit you wish to cancel.
- Select 'Cancel this Direct Debit'.
If you want to cancel a Direct Debit, you have until 9pm the Business Day before the payment is due to debit your account. In the event that you need to cancel a Direct Debit that has debited your account that day, you have until 7pm to cancel this. We also recommend you inform the company claiming the Direct Debit that you wish to cancel it. If you’re unsure which reference number relates to your payment, get in touch with that company to confirm whether that’s the right Direct Debit reference number.