How do I register power of attorney with the Co-operative Bank, smile and Britannia?
If the attorney already banks with us, they’ll be asked to provide their existing account details. To avoid delays in processing a request, the attorney should provide one proof of ID (document must include date of birth) and one proof of address i.e. a bank statement dated within the last 6 months. Copies of the Attorney Registration Form are available at a Co-operative Bank Branch or you can download the form here.
If an attorney is from outside the EU, we may require proof of their right to reside in the UK.
An attorney can visit one of our branches with their documents, where branch members will arrange to send them to our dedicated registration team. If sending these documents to us directly via post, please send them to:
Co-Operative Bank/smile Accounts
Power of Attorney/Court of Protection Team
The Co-operative Bank
PO Box 200
Please do not send in any original photo identification. Instead, photocopies will need to be certified by a "Professional Person" i.e. Accountant, Bank Official, Barrister, Civil Servant, Councillor (local or county), Justice of the Peace, Doctor, Member of Parliament, Minister of Religion, Officer of the Armed Forces, Police Officers, Prison Governors, Probation Officers or Solicitor.
The certifier must:
- Sign the copy document, state their full name and either state/stamp the name of the organisation they work for (certifier's actual name is not always required if the entire firm undertakes regulated activity).
- Date the document.
- State their profession and the role they hold within the organisation.
- State their full business address and their telephone number (not mobile). The certifier may need to be contacted.
- State that they have seen the original document by stating 'I certify that this is a true copy of the original document." If the document includes a photograph, the certified copy should also state "the photograph bears a good likeness to the individual."
The certifier must not:
- Be related to the applicant/account holder by birth or marriage.
- Be a named party on the application/account.
- Live at the same address as thr applicant/account holder.
- Be unemployed or seeking asylum to live in the EU.
Please ensure the relevant sort codes and account numbers or application numbers are quoted when providing these documents.A list of Co-operative Bank branches can be found on our branch finder page.