1. Home
  2. Financial help
  3. Major life events

Major life events

If you’re experiencing financial difficulty after a major life event, we ask you to contact us at your earliest convenience. There are a number of ways that we can help you depending on your circumstances.


We’re an ethical bank and we care for our customers. We want you to feel supported when things get tough. If you’ve been diagnosed with a mental or physical illness that is causing you financial difficulties or you need support, call us as soon as you can.

Contact us

You can reach our Financial Support team by calling +44(0)344 844 8899.

We listen. We have dedicated teams who can help you with your finances during difficult times. They can help you review your income, give you one-to-one support and put payment plans in place.

If you want to let us know, but don’t want to speak over the phone, you can send a secure message once you’ve logged in to online banking. Our dedicated team will reply to you directly.

Redundancy, unemployment and reduced working hours

If you’ve been made redundant, have found yourself unemployed, or are working reduced hours, it’s important to keep a close eye on your finances.

It’s also important in these situations to be aware of your rights, and how you can get help.

Learn more about your rights after being made redundant

If you are unemployed, you may be entitled to job-seekers allowance (JSA) or other benefits. To check whether you’re eligible, please visit Turn2Us and use their benefits calculator.

If your employment circumstances change, it’s important that you let us know as soon as possible. We have a specialist team who can provide tailored support.

You can get in touch by giving us a call on +44(0)344 844 8899 (call charges).

Divorce and separation

Ending a relationship can impact many aspects of your life, not just your finances. If you are worried about the security of the money in your accounts please call on +44(0)344 844 8899 (call charges).

You can find guidance and support on Citizen’s Advice website. They can provide help with all legal aspects and their services can be used free of charge.


If you have a joint mortgage with ourselves and are concerned about paying your mortgage, don’t delay and get in touch with us. We will discuss your situation to understand all available options for you. Please call us on +44(0)8000 288 288 (call charges).

Joint accounts

If you hold a joint account, and want to switch it to a sole account you can request this using our transfer to sole account form.

Maternity and paternity leave

When you become a parent you are entitled to maternity/paternity leave.

During this time, you may receive Statutory Maternity Payment (SMP).

You can find more information on maternity leave and maternity pay on the GOV.UK website.

If you are worried about your financial health during this time, please call on +44(0)344 844 8899 (call charges).


Losing someone close to you can make things very difficult. We want to make sure that your finances are the last thing you need to worry about at this time.

You can find advice on what to do when somebody dies, and the support we can offer on our website. You can also get additional support for funeral expenses from the government.


You should be enjoying your retirement, not worrying about your finances.

Before you retire:

You should think carefully about retirement plans including pensions and tax considerations. See the government website for more information on private pension tax.

Plan your spending:

Before going into retirement, it’s best to take a look at your current spending habits. Make sure your outgoings don’t exceed your pension income.

For more help and information about your pension, you can contact Pension Wise, who can tell you more about your pension options.

Find out more about Pension Wise

If you feel like you may struggle with your finances please call on +44(0)344 844 8899 (call charges).

Power of Attorney and Court of Protection

If a bank account needs to be cared for by a person other than the account holder, Power of Attorney or Court of protection will be needed.

Power of Attorney can only be set up whilst the account holder has “mental capacity”. Certain types can be signed and witnessed with an instruction, only to be registered once “mental capacity” has been lost.

If someone has lost mental capacity and doesn’t have a Power of Attorney in place, a Court of Protection order is required. This is a court of England and Wales, which makes decisions on behalf of those who are incapable of doing so themselves. If there is a need for ongoing decisions to be made on someone's behalf, the court can give these powers to an individual. In Scotland, a Guardianship order operates in a similar way to a Court of Protection order. In Northern Ireland, this is called a Controller order.

More information about Power of Attorney

For some products we have the option to set up third party access. Speak to us to find out more on +44(0)3457 212 212 (call charges).

Graduating from university

It’s common to experience financial difficulties after graduating university and before finding full-time work.

If you are experiencing financial difficulties or are graduating and are worried about this, please contact us as soon as possible on +44(0)344 844 8899 (call charges).

If you need help managing your finances, visit  managing your money day to day.

Economic abuse

Economic abuse, which includes financial abuse, is a form of domestic abuse. It occurs when an abuser restricts a person’s ability to acquire, use and maintain money or other economic resources.

Although economic abuse is more common in intimate relationships, abusers may be a family member or carer. The majority of survivors will also experience other forms of domestic abuse alongside economic abuse.

To learn more about economic abuse, visit our what is financial or economic abuse?