Customer FAQs

Community Accounts

Who are ‘Additional Named Individuals’?

Additional Named Individuals means anyone who will have authority to use the Community account but has NO liability for your organisation, e.g. a secretary managing the account on a day to day basis on behalf of your organisation. Given that they are to be signatories they will also need to be have the relevant background checks undertaken and will need to complete section 5.

Who needs to sign the Declaration?

The declaration should be signed by all those who have control on behalf of the organisation e.g. Directors, Trustees, Secretary, Chair, Treasurer, Committee members. This is usually dictated by the organisation’s governing document, such as a constitution, memorandum & articles of association, etc. Please make sure that you have referred to your governing document before completing the application as there may be rules in here that need to be adhered to – specifically with regards to who has authority to act on behalf of the organisation and also specifically relating to banking arrangements. We will need to make sure that the specifics of your governing document are adhered to and will also use this to help determine who has control of the organisation. We will need to have details of all parties that are controllers of the organisation.

What do I provide if I do not have Excerpt of minutes of meeting of Directors/Members/ Trustees/Governors?

If you have no minutes to provide, the name of the organisation, place and date where you decided to bank with The Co-operative Bank is sufficient.

What do I do if the organisation does not currently hold any Co-operative (including Britannia or Platform) accounts?

This only needs to be completed if the organisation currently banks with the Co-operative Bank.

What should I do if the organisation has no permanent premises/trading address?

If the organisation has no permanent premises this address can be the same as the correspondence address. When detailing the nature of your organisation, please detail how these specific activities are undertaken at the named address

I’m unsure of the current year end date (Financial Details)?

The current year end date is when the organisation expects to complete yearly accounts.

I’m unsure what the annual turnover and/or expected financial growth figure will be?

Turnover is all funds expected to be received by the organisation within the year and estimated figures can be used. Expected financial growth can be left blank if no figure is known.

How do I know if someone is classed as an employee?

The number of employees is only those who actually receive a wage from the organisation.

Do I need to provide the Accountant’s details?

This only needs to be completed to have the option for your accountant (if you have one) to be able to write to us directly to request information from us.

What supporting documentation/information do I need to provide?

Please refer to the application form for more details, but in general, for community accounts, we always need to see a copy of the organisation’s governing document (this could be a constitution, aims and objectives, memorandum & articles of association, etc.) Organisations with existing bank accounts also need to provide a copy of their last 30 days bank statements. Quarterly statements and copies of 30 days pass book entries are also accepted. Our Account Opening Team will request any other form of documentation that may be required once they receive the initial application forms.

When completing the application and advising us of what your organisation does on a day to day basis, please make sure that you give as much information as possible. If there is insufficient detail in this regard then we will need to come back to you for more information. Whilst your governing document may provide high level aims and objectives, we need to know exactly what this translates in to on a day to day basis. Please be as specific as you can with regards to what activities are undertaken to achieve the goals set out for your organisation and what transactional activity we can expect to see through the bank account in relation to this.

Please also make sure that all registrations with third parties (e.g. Companies House, Charities Commission) have been completed and updated where necessary before submitting your application. NB: If you are a CIO/SCIO then you will need to register with the relevant charities commission before you apply as we will need the registration number to process the application and open the account. Whilst the Charities Commission form may ask for existing bank details, this is not mandatory to submit the application and it will allow you to proceed with registration without having banking arrangements already in place. We will not proceed with an application until this registration is complete.

What Personal Details do you require in section 5?

We are interested in all signatories and all people with control over the organisation or a stake in it (e.g. any individual who is responsible for the management/running of an organisation, or any individual who owns/holds a financial stake in the organisation). For many organisations these individuals are dictated by their governing document whether as committee members or officials such as Secretary, Treasurer, Chair. Personal bank details are requested to help with the electronic ID checks required. They are not compulsory on the application, but do help with Identity and Address checks. Additional pages can be printed from the website or photocopied if required.

What do you class as a Shareholder/Stakeholder?

This section only needs to be completed if there are any individuals or entities which hold 10% or more shares/stake in the organisation, which have not yet been mentioned as an official/signatory in other sections of the form. NB: For example, if a charity has a main benefactor that accounts for 90% of funds raised by the charity, that person would be considered to have a significant amount of influence over that charity and therefore be considered a stakeholder.

Who are the Account Signatories?

This section only needs to be completed by people who will have signing authority on the account. Debit cards and online access for signatories can be requested here.
Signing authority can be completed towards the bottom of the page, this dictates the number of people required to authorise a cheque or written instruction to the bank. The number of signatories required on the signing authority is completely up to the organisation to decide (unless governed by the Charities Commission)
The box on the right only needs to be used if you have additional signing authority requirements.

Whilst we do not specify a particular number of signatories, we would need this to match the organisation’s governing document. If this document does not make any reference to a number of signatories, it would be down to the organisation to decide. We would then follow that instruction.
Please note that for registered charities, the Charities Commission strongly recommends two signatories sign together for any instruction or whatever is built into the rules and constitution / memorandum or articles of association.  Whilst we would also recommend this for charities, it is not mandatory at present.

Is the community account for clubs?

To apply for a community account, your organisation must be a registered charity, a co-operative or community benefit society registered with the FCA, a credit union or a community interest company. The following limits also apply to the community account:

•    Total turnover does not exceed £1,000,000 per year.
•    Cash deposits (note/coin) do not exceed £100,000 per year.
•    Cheque deposits (physical number of cheques) do not exceed 5000 per year.

Can I go to the branch to do the application?

Whilst some branches will be able to help complete the form, they do not process the applications. For this reason we generally do not promote the branch network as a channel to make business / community applications.

Is online banking on the community account free?


What are the next steps?

Please note that completion of the application form is the first stage of the application process. Once we receive the completed form we will process the details and review the information provided. We may then need to come back and ask for additional information and documentation in support of the application. We will endeavour to ensure that this happens as quickly as possible.

What do I need to provide if we're a local group using the registration number of a larger charity?

If your account title does not match that of the main charity you will be required to provide us with a letter from the charity, on their letter headed paper, authorising you to use their registered charity number. This also applies for local branches of larger charities. The letter will need to be on headed paper, signed by 2 trustees from the registered charity, confirming the name of the local group that they are authorising the bank account for and confirm the named individuals who will be signatories on the account.

The Bank reserves the right to decline any application and/or deposit

*Credit facilities are provided by The Co-operative Bank and are subject to application status. Security may be required.