To apply the main card holder must meet the following:
- 18 or over.
- UK resident.
- Earning a minimum Gross Annual Income (GAI) of £10,000.
- An existing customer having held a Co-operative Bank or smile current account for at least 7 months (Cashminder, Student and Pathfinder accounts are not eligible).
- Not had any County Court Judgements (CCJs), entered into any Individual Voluntary Arrangements (IVAs) or Trust Deeds nor been declared bankrupt within the last 6 years.
- Not in arrears or have not missed more than 2 payments on any credit agreement in the last six months.
- Must be employed full time, part time, self-employed or retired.
- Be a Co-operative Member to be eligible for cashback.
- Additional cardholders can be unemployed as long as they’re 18 or over and a UK resident.
Approval is subject to status and based on a credit check and an assessment of your personal circumstances.
What you need to apply
- Information about your income and outgoings each month.
- Your previous addresses from the last 3 years.
- The account number and sort code of your main bank account.
How long applications will take
If you have all your information to hand, the application will take you about 10 minutes.
It will take us 5 working days to let you know whether or not your application had been successful.
How the credit checks work
We use a credit check to make sure you’re applying for the right card for you.
A credit reference agency produces a report on your credit history, and we use this information to decide if this product is suitable or not.
What to do if you've been refused
Customers who are not approved will have a note placed on their account that an application has been submitted and declined.
Being refused for a credit card can have a negative effect on your credit rating. If this happens, you should avoid applying for the same card again. All applications, positive and negative, will show up on your credit file.
You can improve your credit score by being on the electoral register and cancelling old credit cards.